Saturday, April 25, 2009

Rescued!!!

Rescued!!!
By: Linda DePeel (c.)2009

I had finished my job for a client, and declined a ride. It was a beautiful day--almost too gorgeous for Western Nebraska this time of year, and I had this need to walk. I had errands to run, and thought the exercise would do me good.

I made my rounds, stopping in to visit with the girls at the shop (beauty salon), then walked around the corner to the post office. That's the really great thing about living in a small town. You're pretty much within walking distance of whatever you're looking for. Unfortunately, I was suddenly faced with a dilemma.

Dick, the postmaster, handed me a rather large box of books I'd ordered about 3 weeks before. I groaned. "Weren't expecting 'em today, huh?" he teased.

"Well, I'll get 'em home somehow!" I said. I went out into the lobby and proceeded to tear open the box. I had brought along a bag, which contained the book I'm currently reading, my reading glasses and 2 bottles of water. (I've given up my "pop" habit.) I figured I could just stuff the books into the bag and I'd manage that way.

I got the box opened, pulled the contents out of my bag and was about to start cramming 5 extra books into the bag, when I felt a hand on my shoulder. "Need a ride?" I turned to see my friend, Helen, smiling at me.

"How did you know?" I teased.

"Me?" Helen exclaimed. "How did you know?" Of course, neither of us knew that the other would be at the post office at the same time--cool!

I took Helen up on her offer of a ride--sat in the back seat, which felt much safer. I shouldn't complain. Forgive me. Helen has been more than a good friend--she's been like my guardian angel, and she rescued me that day!

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

I am a native of Western Nebraska. I have been in nursing since 1975, mostly working in nursing homes and with elderly residents. I also took care of my mother for 8 years. I have 2 "neat kids" and 2 awesome grandkids.