Sunday, April 12, 2009

Angel On My Shoulder

Angel On My Shoulder

By: Linda DePeel (c.) 2009

My friend, Helen is 92 years young, and is still very active. She's one of the more fortunate people--her mind is still sharp, she has a 3-wheel "bike" that she rides in nice weather, and is always willing to help anyone in need. She took me in after I moved back to Western Nebraska, after staying with my ex-in-laws in Northeastern Nebraska. And whenever she gives me advice, I always listen, because it's sound, godly wisdom. However, there's just one little problem....

Helen still drives. Not bad for someone her age, but she's not a good driver, which she herself will admit. Last week, we were headed to Bible Study, and she never saw the big red truck coming. She got to the intersection before I could react. I yelled, "Stop!" and she slammed on the brakes. Luckily the truck managed to steer around us, but not before shaking his fist at her. My poor ol' heart was thudding wildly in my chest, and no doubt, Helen's was too. I forced myself to breathe deeply.

Helen said, "Oh, dear! Thanks for warning me." Just like that! She "burned rubber", as the saying goes, and I thought, "Good grief! This is all the reaction she's got? I mean, like, that would've been my side that would have taken the impact, and, Lord, I'm still too young to die, and I really don't want to wind up in a body cast either!" A little angel had to be sitting on my shoulder that day, and I'm very grateful! Thank you.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

I am a native of Western Nebraska. I have been in nursing since 1975, mostly working in nursing homes and with elderly residents. I also took care of my mother for 8 years. I have 2 "neat kids" and 2 awesome grandkids.